Coordinator: J. Sohier
Participants: M. Carranca, M. Ferrandes, L. Griveau, S. Ramirez, D. Sigaudo-Roussel, R. Debret
Synthesis and formulation of synthetic structures (biomaterials) offer the key perspective of replacing and regenerating diseased or destroyed tissues.
Beyond biomaterials crucial features such as biocompatibility and biodegradability, their inherent structural properties and the resulting influence on cell behavior and tissue synthesis is beginning to be identified and acknowledged. Therefore, tissues elastic properties and extracellular matrix organization and structure could prove to be important regulators of tissue repair, growth and homeostasis, and should therefore be mimicked and controlled in biomaterials.
Following this paradigm, this project aims to:
– precisely reproduce the extracellular matrix structure and properties of various soft and elastic tissues at different stages of aging, and implement them synthetically in innovative biomaterials;
– rationally and incrementally study the interactions between cells and structures/properties provided by biomaterials; as well as the resulting effects on cellular response and matrix synthesis.
A) Fomation of polymer nanofibres by our jet-spraying approach and evaluation of the effect of various nanofibrillar architectures on myofibroblastic activation of human cells colonizing 3D matrices, characterized by smooth muscle alpha actin (α-SMA) expression.
B) Porous elastomimetic hydrogels with independently tailorable loss and storage modulus, enabling cell colonization and control of cell phenotype.
Selection of publications :
- Krishnamoorthy, N., Tseng, Y.-T., Gajendrarao, P., Sarathchandra, P., McCormack, A., Carubelli, I., Sohier, J., Latif, N., Chester, A. and Yacoub, M. H. (2017). A Novel Strategy to Enhance Secretion of ECM Components by Stem Cells: Relevance to Tissue Engineering. Tissue engineering. Part A. Epub May 2017. doi:10.1089/ten.TEA.2017.0060 (IF=4.019)
- Debret, R., Faye, C., Sohier, J., Sommer, P., inventors, PATENT : Polypeptide dérivé de la tropoélastine et matériau biocompatible le comprenant.2016, FR 16 54306.
- Keloglu, N., Verrier, B., Trimaille, T., and Sohier, J. Controlled association and delivery of nanoparticles from jet-sprayed hybrid microfibrillar matrices. Colloids and surfaces. B, Biointerfaces 140, 142, 2016. doi:10.1016/j.colsurfb.2015.12.039 (IF=4.152)
- Corre, P., Merceron, C., Longis, J., Khonsari, R.H., Pilet, P., thi, T.N., Battaglia, S., Sourice, S., Masson, M., Sohier, J., Espitalier, F., Guicheux, J., and Weiss, P. Direct comparison of current cell-based and cell-free approaches towards the repair of craniofacial bone defects – A preclinical study. Acta Biomaterialia 26, 306, 2015.. doi:10.1016/j.actbio.2015.08.013 (IF=6.025)
- Sohier, J., Carubelli, I., Sarathchandra, P., Latif, N., Chester, A., Yacoub, M. The potential of anisotropic matrices as substrate for heart valve engineering. Biomaterials, 2014; 35(6):1833-1844. doi:10.1016/j.biomaterials.2013.10.061. (IF=7.604)
- Sohier, J., Corre, P., Perret, C., Pilet, P., Weiss, P. Novel and Simple Alternative to Create Nanofibrillar Matrices of Interest for Tissue Engineering. Tissue Eng Part C Methods, 2014; 20(4): 285-96. doi:10.1089/ten.tec.2013.0147 (IF=4.065)
- Cordonnier, T., Langonné, A., Corre, P., Renaud, A., Sensebé, L., Rosset, P., Layrolle, P., Sohier, J. Osteoblastic differentiation and potent osteogenicity of three-dimensional hBMSC-BCP particle constructs. J Tissue Eng Regen Med, 2014; 8(5): 364-376. doi:10.1002/term.1529 (IF=2.826)
- Sohier, J., Layrolle, P., inventors, PATENT: Biomimetic nanofiber web and method and device to manufacture the same. 2010, WO 2010081832.
Pr. Magdi Yacoub, Imperial college, London
Pr. Franck Jourdan, LMGC UMR5508, Montpellier
Pr. Nadia Bahlouli, ICube UMR 7357, Strasbourg
Dr. Alexandre MEJAT, INMG UMR 5310, Lyon
Industrial partnerships : Straticell, Colcom